GO PURPLE for Black Country Women’s Aid in October 2018
October is Domestic Violence Awareness Month and the colour purple is worn to show survivors we care. Purple is a colour worn by early women’s rights activists and today it is an important colour for campaigners against domestic abuse and violence against women and girls.
Domestic Violence Awareness Month was originally launched in the USA as a way to unite individuals and organizations working on domestic violence: our Go Purple month will bring this campaign to the West Midlands!
Why is it important?
Domestic abuse remains at epidemic levels, with 2 women a week being killed by a former or current partner. Domestic violence happens in every community and affects people of all ages. While most victims are women and girls, domestic violence affects men and boys too. The impacts of domestic violence affect individuals, families, communities, and society as a whole. But prevention is possible.
What can we do?
As a society we have to remove the stigma around domestic violence. We need to make domestic violence an issue that we can talk about openly so that victims and survivors won’t feel judged for experiencing abuse, and can come forward to get help. Together, we can help individuals, communities and businesses understand how they can take action to promote safety, respect and equality to end domestic violence.
How your fundraising will help
Black Country Women’s Aid supported over 8000 women, children and men last year who had experienced abuse and violence. Our refuges offered a safe place to stay, our advocates and counsellors helped people to get back on their feet, cope with trauma and look towards a safer future.
We currently receive over 24 calls an hour and our 6 refuges are almost always full. We need your help to make sure no victim of abuse is turned away from support.
How to take part
- Just decide on a day in October when you will Go Purple
- Each person/pupil pays £1 and wears a purple item to school, college or work or you can paints your nails purple, bake and sell purple cupcakes and for the more daring spray your beard, hair or moustache purple.
- Let us know what day by registering on our website or by contacting Debbie our fundraiser on 0121 553 0090 or by email
- We will send you our fundraising pack for ideas and show you how we will spend the money that you raise
- Take photos of your purple day and we will share on our facebook and twitter. There is a prize for the most interesting purple picture.
- Have fun !
We invite you to encourage friends, family members, colleagues and community members to show their support by Going Purple too.
Thank you for making our community a happier place to live
Get involved: contact us